Friday, February 12, 2010

it is all about portion control...I am finding, as I measure, I've been pretty overboard for awhile...it's nice to be satisfied with the smaller portions and know it's enough! Of course, for me that rule will be VERY hard to apply when it comes to cake...I LOVE cake too Terrie...that is most definitely my vice!!!

BUT, here are 3 recipes I have made this week that I thoroughly enjoy, that do keep me on point and full!

Quick Broccoli or Califlower soup (or both as I did :))
WW 1 point per cup (really!!!)

4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
2 dried bay leaves
1 head califlower or 1 pound broccoli, chopped well (I used a combo)
salt and pepper to taste

The author said that, for some reason, heating the broth before hand is key, so, warm your broth as you do the beginning steps:
1. Heat oil in pot. Add diced onion and saute until golden and soft. Add some salt/pepper to help the onions sweat.
2. Add califlower/broccoli, stir to coat with onion mixture. Turn down heat, cover pot and let the veggies steam a bit...2 or 3 mintues.
3. Add bay leaves and broth. Stir well, cover and let cook at a low simmer for about 20 minutes...stir occasionally.
4. Remove bay leaves and either mash califlower with a potato masher, or puree (in 3 batches) in a blender.
It is a really delicious soup...I just mashed with a spoon, cause I like a little chunky soup! It was very tasty! Perfect for a lunch, especially if you know you have a big dinner coming!!!

Slow Cook Tuscan Sausage and Bean Soup
WW 4 pts. per 1 1/2 cups

12 oz. turkey kielbasa (I used the whole 14 oz package)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
4 cups chopped kale (I used escarole)
4 cups chicken broth
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can great northern/cannellini beans, rinsed
1 can diced italian style tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp. dried basil

Put everything, except escarole (if you use that in place of kale), into slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Add escarole an hour before serving or right before, depending on how crisp you want it to be :)

Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup
WW 2 pts. per 1 1/2 cups

3/4 cup quick cook barley
2 cloves garlic
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 large zucchini, about 12 oz., sliced/cubed
1 medium yellow squash, about 8 oz., cubed
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 onion, chopped,
1 small fennel bulb, cored and chopped
1 cup frozen lima beans
1 can italian seasoned diced tomatoes
1 tsp. basil
4 cups fat free chicken broth

In slow cooker, place all indredients except lima beans. Stir and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Add lima beans an hour before serving.




1 comment:

  1. I got your email on my blackberry while out and about, picked up all the items I didn't have at home for the Turkey Sausage soup!
    I'll be making it on Monday.

    ReplyDelete